PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any recommendations on flight schools in USA?
Old 8th May 2012, 07:55
wangus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For what it's worth, I went to Florida to a different PPL school back 8 years ago. I was also attracted by their website and prices.
2 Points
1) You cannot inconspicuously drop in unannounced and get a feel for the place, inspect aircraft, speak to students, enjoy a tea/coffee while taking everything in, maybe have a chat with "receptionist". Starting a casual conversation with an employee usually gets them chatting away, good and bad.
Within 90 miles of where you live, you can.... GO SPY!!!!!!
2) The quoted prices will not include everything. My rooming was meant to be included, but wasn't. An extra £15/hour for insurance nobody told me about. Groundschool not included. Total lack of instructor availability. Didn't work weekend! (Yes...) Course had to be paid in full before I could meet my instructor. Sat there for a week before I could even start due to chief pilot being away. Examiner wasn't available for 2 weeks after I was ready to test. Had to sit around a hotel at $60/night (£40). Eat ****ty greasy food. Had to purchase another ticket home eventually at last minute once I was complete. £600.... Cheap you reckon??? No

Countless people like me have tried to warn people about the pitfalls of flying 4000 miles to get a cheap PPL. If you do it, do it, but please take the rose tinted glasses off. You ultimate savings will be negligible, especially with weak pound.

Extra hotel nights 42 x £40 = £1680
Insurance 50 x £15 = £750
Extra Virgin Flight = £600