PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alligator Airways Grounded
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2012, 04:45
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No they were doing normal rated takeoffs however in cruise they were running at 80% power to operate an extra bungles a day. Historically 3 scenic slots a day were booked. By running at a higher power setting, RK in his wisdom deemed due to the higher TAS they could offer a fourth flight a day and not bust flight time limits for the crew.

Add inexperienced crew to the mix, shortcuts on maintenance, apprentice engineers maintaining the fleet without supervision and RK himself and his personal problems and you get what we have here. It only took him 5 years to destroy what CM built up in 25.

It turned out after extensive research by lycoming that the higher power settings caused issues with the harmonic balance of the engines causing issues with the fuel distribution from the engine driven pump and the subsequent burnt pots and cyclinders. Or so the story goes.

RK was in the hole over one million or so as rumour has it in lost business and engine repairs. He also voiced his pending litigation to lycoming (good luck).
GG

Most likely I can guess how they were operating

Have you any intimate knowledge of the method of operation? If you want to keep this out of this thread PM me, I have no axes to grind but the lack of education among CPL's and piston operators.