PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - DfT/CAA Jump Seat Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2002, 15:16
Prince Of Darkness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Danny:

As much as I'd like to vote for option one (I REALLY would!), I feel that the world we now live in dictates that I vote for option two alone. Heres'why:

Unfortunately, as I think you realise, the days of bring along 'a friend of a friend' for a familiarisation flight have long gone. Who would carry out a background security check on even someone that is well known to you for years? Sadly, the fact that the Captain is vouching for someone is not enough in this day and age. And, if the Captain were able to vouch for someone, why not the First Officer, or the Cabin Supervisor, or any other company employee? Change the ruling to something like this, and it becomes eliteist. It also leaves a ruling open to interpretation, to the detriment of security.

Back to the subject of Background Security Checks: For anybody other than "...CAA Ops Inspectors, supernumerary crew or flight crew travelling in uniform on official company business" , a background security check would have to be a requirement. How does one work that into a company budget, no matter what size the company? I, for one, would be unhappy if this task were done in-house, as the thoroughness of such a check would be difficult for ME to verify. And believe me, I am presently unhappy of the thought of carrying a staff member on a supernumerary seat who is on duty, but who I have never met before, let alone anyone else. I also think it stupid that I can not even take a colleague who would be well known to me and every other crew member who might, for example, be trying to return from a stand-by holiday, in uniform or not! But, I also think it important that our passengers must appreciate, and be able to see clearly, that we, as professional service providers, are taking security issues seriously, and I feel that not having un-necessary people on the flight deck demonstrates that.

Which leads me to this. I wrote to my boss when these measures were implemented. I explained that one of the most heart-rending things I've ever had to do as a parent, was to tell my teen-age son that he no longer could come flying with me. That moment reduced both of us to tears. I explained to my boss that, when I was his age, some people in aviation took the time to nurture my passion for all things aeronautical, by taking me flying with them. Now I am no longer able to repay that favour, by returning that privilage and, (for me as well as them) pleasure, to the next generation of aviators.

I can appreciate why I cannot take family members or friends, because any crew member I operate with whom I have never met before, only has my word that they are a family member or friend. Vice versa, I would only have their word that it was a friend or family member of theirs that I have not met before, even be it a crewmember that I know! Reading between the lines, I hope you see how this rule could be open to abuse...... and I'm not talking of abuse by crewmembers!

The rule DOES need revising. But the questions arising from the ruling, and the possible solutions that go with any proposed changes also need discussing. This forum is a great place to do that. But, please be careful of discussing security issues here, our livelihoods and lives depend upon it.

Thank-you.