PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prince William and the RAF
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2012, 20:01
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Samuel, people obviously don't know who you are or where you are.

Around 1975 the RAF abandoned the last of its promotion exams. Promotion to fg off had been automatic for many years. In the late 60s the B for promotion to flt lt was abolished along with the permanent fg off (B-failed). Then the C was also abandoned to be replaced, for aircrew, with satisfactory flying proficient reports every year. Our old nav plotter actually failed his check as a sqn ldr flt cdr and immediately lost his flying cat. He later remustered to a ground branch. I don't know how ground officers were assessed.

Typically a flt lt will be in the bracket for promotion after 4 years in the rank with 5 the most usual. For aircrew this would be towards the end of his 2nd or 3rd flying tour depending on whether he was a graduate or direct entry.

He would be expected to do a junior staff course and also to embark on an individual staff studies course. To be an effective sqn ldr you do need to do courses. Promotion to wg cdr would follow perhaps 4-5 years later for a fast mover.

Once a Royal personnage had left active service promotion would follow at the normal promotion points until as King you top out at MRAF.

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 7th May 2012 at 21:16.