PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Late Pax
Thread: Late Pax
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2002, 12:13
willadvise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to share a recent experience travelling MEL-SYD-MEL.

0830 Thurs departure MEL. I arrive at 0720 hoping to get the chance to grab a coffee and muffin before getting on. Join the "snake" type queue. It doesn't look so bad it is not quite out the door yet. No problems. Hmmm doesn't seem to be moving very fast. Gee only 6 checkin counters open with all these people here. I hope I don't miss my flight. The ticket says a 30 min check in time. Anyhow 40mins later "Will all passengers waiting to check in for QFXXX please proceed immediately to counters 15&16". I still about 10 people deep. I manage to get on.

1530 Sun Departure SYD. I arrive 1410. Hmm no "snake" queing system in Syd. You have to play checkin counter lottery. Of course the one I pick has about 50 people in it. About a 1/3 of which apparently had problems checking in, including one which took a 10 min phone call. 55 mins later "Will all passengers waiting to check in for QFXXX please proceed immediately to counters 15&16" Doors closed immediately after me with a disapproving look from the staff.
Why don't they have a snake in Sydney so we have an equal chance of being able to check in?
Why should I bother turning up 70-80min prior to departure time, queue for 40-50mins because the airline has failed to provide an adequate number of checkin staff when I know I can rock up 25mins prior. Wait for the priority checkin call and be on my way.
This doesn't seem to be a difficult problem for me. The airline know how many people will be turning up for checkin, why can't the roster an appropriate no. of staff?

This is not an isolated example for me, it seems to happen on about 50% of my flights. In future I am not going to bother turning up early and I will wait for the priority call.