PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat: What's the deal?
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2012, 02:42
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Good try at a reasonable thread Piperboy. I'm happy for you that you got some useful responses, before the thread drifted into silliness. I would take Big Piston's advice verbatim any day. You can see that there are varied ways in which carb heat is used by pilots. and some passion about it too.

Keep your eyes open for an opportunity to fly an aircraft equipped with a carb air temperature indicator - watching that while selecting carb heat, and then adjusting the power and mixture to optimize the heat, is an education. What you will see is that the techniques which are taught, are often only a part of the story. The flight manual techniques err to the simple and conservative, as one would expect. Pilots who feel confident that they have assured their security from carb ice simply by selecting carb heat, and then ignoring the other engine controls could be in for disappointment - I have been. Like any control of the aircraft, carb heat should be applied as a part of good, informed pilot decision making.

I applaud your effort to become more informed. Good attitude! Perhaps another will begin to act their age - well, at least one of them.....