PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 17:29
Topcat598

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is NPAS missing the point?

Good afternoon all, I’ve been following the progress of NPASfor some while and fear I have missed the point. Isn’t the reason for NPASbeing set up, to “provide effect border less air support for all counties whilstreducing costs to the tax payer”.
Having seen the proposed base plan of four aircraft at fourbases for the South East region I am no longer sure that this is the case.
Thecurrent NPAS plan is to have bases at:

RAF Benson: anexisting ASU but requires upgrading to the portacabins currently beingused……………………..Cost £1m (approx)

RAF Honnington: No existing ASU, requires new base built,possible issues with length of lease……………………..……Cost £1m (approx)

Redhill private airfield: No existing ASU, requires new basebuilt, private ground rent rates and no doubt landing fees……Cost £1m +

Southend Airport: No existing ASU, requires new basebuilt, private ground rent rates and no doubt landing fees….....………Cost £1m +

Additional costs:

Metropolitan Police service required to cover Hertfordshireat cost of approx. £2000 p/hr. from 1st October 2012 to 1stApril 2014. Given Hertfordshire required 400hrs flying time from CASU year 2011– 2012 (during a period of strict flying restrictions due to CASU budgetrestraints) that would be a cost of ...................................£1.2m.

RAF Henlow has an MOD contract that states the site has tobe returned to its original state if no longer used for aviation.Cost………………….approx £300,000.

Total NPAS cost £5.5M

Now I understand that there had to be some initial negotiatingby the NPAS team at first to get Police Authorities on side with the projectbut surely now that Nick Herbert has signed the paperwork so that PA’s can bemandated to join, the time has come to locate the bases where they will actuallyprovide effective Air Support and cost savings to the public.

A plan B I suggest would be:

RAF Henlow: anexisting ASU with No costs.

RAF Odiham: an existing ASU with No costs.

RAF Wattisham: an existing ASU with No costs.

Rochester Airfield: A private airfield: No existingASU, requires new base built, private ground rent rates and no doubt landingfees..........cost £1m +

No additional costs for demolishing buildings or having MPSto cover.

Total Cost £1m (approx) ………
.Saving £4.5m approx on NPAS current plan.

Plan B provides effectice cover within 15 minutes for the whole of the south East and only leaves the north west of Oxfordshire without 15 minute cover. A highly rural area with only the quite town of Bicester within it. In addition Brighton, although not within 15 minutes of any ASU under plan B will get extra resilliance as it will have access to two aircraft 16-17 minutes away. NPAS plan shows Brighton as having an aircraft 10 minutes away but that does not factor Gatwick!!
One final point Plan B gives the whole of Hampshire 15 minute coverage without the need to reposition the Dorset aircraft, saving another base build cost.

Just my thoughts.

or am I missing the point??