PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37.5 degree angle of bank, one engine out, gear down and at 500 feet
Old 6th May 2012, 06:51
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I crashed landed is some trees yesterday and whilst I was driving to get a chain saw I discussed this incident with my very capable mate.
French Carrier pilot who banged out twice, flew off American carriers, won a top gun prize and flew and instructed on executive jets.

He said every pilot initially panics - I disagreed and cited a occasion when I made a mayday - but realised that he was right.

It's what you do after the bang or you realise that you might crash that is important....

Look at the BOAC 707 which crashed at LHR in the 60s where they decided to do an instant return and got the fire drill wrong.

The 777 splat at LHR where they carried out the after crash drill in the wrong sequence.fortunately there was no fire otherwise their mistake could have been disastrous.

AirFrance where the copilot was so scared he held on back stick pressure (allegedly).

In my old airline we had a captain lock himself into the loo when the destination closed in fog and there weren't a lot of alternate airfields.

Sadly none of us know what we will do when it hits the fan and most of us luckily will never have to face the mire.

What we can do is lots of professional training and that comes back down to money, professionalism and a realisation that we can all make mistakes......

Not forgetting aviation authorities doing a proper job and not looking after their mates...