PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Seniority is it time to get rid of it?
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2012, 03:40
SonicJetBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, am just new to the forums. Have just returned home to Aus after working for a middle eastern carrier for 4 years. Im about to start as an agency casual for australias largest airline and im a little worried about finding my feet amongst this seniority culture.

In my previous airline, seniority was primarily used only for roster building only, and was based on a fair share 'rolling' system. (which I believe really works). As far as day to day work, we are all flight attendants and we do the same job. everyone had equal weighting in regards to work positions, meals, hotel rooms etc. Ive heard a lot of awful stories about how casuals are treated in aus and im a little concerned.

Is there low work morale amongst the team due to different work contracts being treated differently? im used to working in a multi-cultural environment where a point is made to treat everyone equally and with no discrimination. If anything I think whoever has the highest EP's scores should be given preference to which door/work position they cover, as apposed to the oldest most senior crew. i understand seniority has its place in some aspects of the job- but in terms of the day to day operation, i think its only detrimental to team work and morale.....especially in our line of work where CRM and effective communication can mean life or death. If anyone has some advice for entering this type of company culture i would greatly appreciate it.
cheers