PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 20:26
dublinaviator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jack1985
Really you just said earlier on... ''That makes no sense.''
I know I did. You contradicted yourself in your post on the last page, hence why I said it made no sense. On the one hand you disagreed that Ryanair slashing their fares forced easyJet out of Cork, and then in the same post acknowledged it contributed to it. And now again, you acknowledge Ryanair slashing their fares forced easyJet out of Cork. So again, what are you disagreeing with?

Originally Posted by Jack1985
Of course it was. This was in the year exactly when Ryanair turned around their view to Aer Rianta and started what could only be described as an epic expansion at Dublin i'm sure you'll remember that? Aer Rianta was giving in left right and centre to Ryanair letting them go at Shannon and wanted Cork to continue its growth - Aer Lingus were growing and the void by JetMagic being filled they wanted more and more and they chose the wrong soloution to the growth they so desperately wanted because in the end they let Ryanair drive the competition away and then watched them half the amount of flights to London Gatwick and increase the fares.
easyJet first announced their Irish routes in 2004 and launched them in early 2005. Ryanair didn't announce their expansion at Dublin till the end of 2005, with flights not launching till 2006.

In any case its bullsh*t to blame the CAA for easyJet pulling out of Cork. Airports are not allowed under EU rules to offer any incentives to one airline without offering them to all airlines, so any incentive Ryanair may have been offered by the CAA was also offered to easyJet, and bmi baby before them. So why is it the CAA's fault that Ryanair chose to undercut easyJet?