PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alligator Airways Grounded
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 20:23
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rose coloured specs (RCS).

TB - If it was the FAA that is the more likely scenario. They are always reluctant to shut down what could be a viable business and throw innocent parties out of work.
Sorry mate – RCS syndrome; thinking more about how the whole mess got to this stage, more than the old enemy. Yup – agreed but without an accurate picture and based only on what has been said here, it's hard to decide what an honest, proactive regulator would (should) have done. One thing is certain things would never had got this far.
TB - It would be a brave chief pilot in OZ who sought CASA help, because they'd crucify him as well as the company.
Sad and very nearly true again – but a half way decent CP, not some CASA yes man and a competent FOI should be able to sort it out, quick smart. All the toys were there, numerous complaints etc. etc. Just tell the man – "We won't do it; not legal - mate cooperate or they will shut you down". With a "lightweight" CP and a junior crew it was always going to end in tears. However, as you can see (my bold) :-

FOD #14 - the fact casa approved such a young and relatively inexperienced pilot as the cp only compounded matters.

NWF #15 - I'd love to know how many of these were reported to the ATSB & CASA.... if past form is anything to go on none of them would have been! How many of the pilots who had the engine failures in the last 2 months were fired like last time?

GG #21 - I couldn't get my head around running the cans at 80% power with a 300 hour pilot at the helm. The TIO-540 is a great engine and will make its TBO if you look after it and run it at 65%

HJ #23 - Stand up to him by refusing to bend the rules and you are dismissed on the spot...where is the support from the CP ???? hahahahaha - # 23 - All they would have to do is seek out some of the ex CPs and pilots that have worked there in the last 3 years. Some of the stories they could tell...

TG # 28 - But seriously I am still astounded at the level of malpractice and negligence that has continued there completely unchecked. It was bad when I left, but it seems to be even worse now.

FOD # 43 - More than anything the place needs a new owner. A CP that is willing to stand up for the boys and lead by example is a good start but I'm not really sure if that is what RK wants in a CP.

NWF #46 - Past CP's and line pilots alike have been given the flick because they questioned (and rightly so) maintenance standards, aircraft servicability, flight and duty breaches, pressure to operate well outside the regs etc etc etc.

AP # 79 - “These incidents involved forced landings where CASA believes employees of Alligator Airways were aware of significant defects affecting the safety of aircraft prior to flight,” CASA said.

TMP #86 - Looking at CASA's press release, I'd bet that they're not only going to go after Alligator, but they'll look at suspending or prosecuting some of the pilots working there also.
My bold.
The word No remains one the most positive words in the English language, easy enough to understand.

That the culture of fear is deeply entrenched and well proven; but here you always come back to how was this mess allowed to continue without mutual positive intervention. It always leaves the messy problem of who can be relied on. If CASA was always 'honest' and the motives clear there could be a different take, but alas, instead of being able to applaud a shutdown after much effort, we end up back at the same old place.

But still, it seems (IMO), at face value that the regulator had little choice in this instance. If only 'they' could be reported to and trusted, if only they'd reported, then maybe, perhaps.

Last edited by Kharon; 5th May 2012 at 20:50. Reason: more haste - less speed.