PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37.5 degree angle of bank, one engine out, gear down and at 500 feet
Old 5th May 2012, 19:43
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clevlandHD:
Instead of wiki, you should read "Handling the Big Jets".
Valued sir.
I have read "Handling the Big Jets" when perhaps you were not even born, in 1966. And yet I keep a copy jealously.
Henra:
I hope this is not the source you take your aviation knowledge from.
Esteemed sir
I must confess that even after almost fifty years of profession, my thirst for knowledge forces me to drink from any source in order to improve my knowledge.
However I have at least 70 textbooks in my library about aviation:
10 volumes from the basic course, and about 3 volumes per plane I've flown: MB 326, Viscount, DC8-62, DC8-43, Caravelle, DC-10, DC-9 30, MD-80, MD-83, MD, 11, B737-200, B737-230, B737-300, B737-400: 14 x 3 = 52 + 10 = 62.

However, as @clevland has mentioned time has moved on and the designers have taken steps to mitigate this problem. Twist and taper/ relative chord thickness will take care of it.
Can I add autoslat, Elevator Power [down] etc. etc.. etc..
But why AF447 lost 38000 ft in 4 minutes? Perhaps because it went into stall, and the trim went all the way up, and there was fuel in the tail tanks?
But AIRBUS Does not stall !!!??? Or not???!!!
I repeat:
You all teach me that V2 = equal or more than 1,1 VMCA and 1,2 Vs. With such a bank (37,5°) Vs increment is 14%, so they were only: 1,2 – 0,14 = 1,06 Vs. “Deep” or not they were very very near to stall, and with the asymmetric thrust they had, God only knows why they didn’t get into a spin.

And their work load was increased by:
The Tower asking them, in vain, (and so repeatedly) to turn left instead of right
The stick shaker intervention
The GPWS activation

Were did priorities:
AVIATE, NAVIGATE, COMMUNICATE.
Go?
It seems to me that the airplane was leading them, not otherwise! And no crew coordination nor integration was going on.