PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 17:08
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That makes no sense. You say Ryanair slashing their fares had minimal effect and then in the same post acknowledge that Ryanair slashing their fares forced easyJet off the route. And somehow that's the CAA's fault?
It does if you read it correctly. I said Ryanair slashing fares from Cork to London Stansted when easyJet began their Cork to London Gatwick route had minimal affect. But when they competed directly with them on the Cork to London Gatwick route with fares slashed it had the affect to drive easyJet off the route.

I'd very much doubt if Ryanair was given any incentives to compete with Easyjet on London or Aer Arann on Dublin.
They offered Cork a based B738 increased flights to Liverpool/London Stansted and new routes to Dublin and London Gatwick ''with hopes of European expansion'' for no landing fees for the year (only for the DUB and LGW routes). They got this and then drove easyJet out and seriously damaged AerArann's viability on the Dublin route. I know full well under European competition laws that no entity can limit competition and it should be embrassed and I also agree with that but not when your destroying an existing market for the benefit of a few temporary extra flights - what I was saying was the CAA shouldnt have given in and told FR if they wanted DUB and LGW they had to pay full house price like everyone else - That is what I call competition.

Cork Airport - an airport with such little ambition. What a pity.
Precisely.