PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 15:53
Ian W

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dozy
You also stated that there would never be a "tug-of-war" on the yoke. I simply provided one example (and looked up some others, made some notes) of where that was precisely what happened.

Prior to that I stated that the Airbus flight deck provides a way of locking out a wayward PF that is impossible with connected yokes - but for whatever reason on two ocasions where it would have been helpful, it wasn't used.
So if a suicidal PF is sitting in the left hand seat in a 'bus it is even easier to be successful - just press override?

I think that the point that has been made several times is that had the captain of 447 re-entered a cockpit equipped with yokes, he would have seen the PF with the yoke pulled into his lap, TOGA power and the altimeter unwinding at a high rate. Without anyone speaking and without any alarms it would have been immediately apparent that the aircraft was sitting in a stall the wrong side of the drag curve.

True it should not have got to that point - but it did; and the PNF and captain seemed totally unaware of the mayonnaise being stirred by the PF so had no reason to press override.