PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carb Heat: What's the deal?
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2012, 10:32
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the OP of this thread I have found it extremely interesting and educational reading the different viewpoints on carb heat use, I have deduced the following:
1. Re-read and understand what the AFM says, and just as importantly what it DOES NOT say in regards to carb heat.
2. Carry with me the “carb icing danger zone chart” and understand how to relate its calculations to the combination of actual weather conditions before/ during flight and prior to the finals
3. When considering when to engage and disengaging car heat be cognizant of not just the elements (temperature, humidity etc.) but also field conditions such as thin grass with loose dirt, fleshly cut grass and wet grass both on TO and landing that can bypass air filtration when crab heat is on and cause additional problems. But remembering that if faced with a choice, unfiltered air is better than an iced carb
4. When in doubt whatsoever there is very little downside in any flight configuration to putting the carb heat on to verify there is no icing.
5. If landing in the conditions susceptible to carb icing keeping carb heat on all the way down till reaching ground effect, then only closing the carb heat due to either having to go around or conditions on the ground favouring filtered air such is the case on my airstrip which swings from wet to dusty with a thin cover of grass
6. Expect the unexpected and expect it happening quick and at times of high workload. And carb icing can happen pretty much at the entire normal temperature range for the area I fly in.

Thanks folks