PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL Navigation
Thread: CPL Navigation
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2001, 01:28
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
In a professional world, it is important to have the correct information. If Rolling Circle appears pedantic, it's probably because he's trying to be as accurate with his guidance as possible. I'm not going to be drawn on the 'making the turning point' v. 'regaining track' discussion with RC - we've agreed to disagree on that in the past! Each has its own merit....

Anyway, The First Lesson is read from the Gospel of the Flight Examiners' Handbook, beginning at Appendix 3 Section 3 - Navigation:

And the Lord Examiner spake unto the applicant and said "If thou art a true and worthy applicant, thou wilst have read the CAA Standards Document 3 - Notes for the guidance of Applicants. Now, therefore, I ask to see thy map and thy PLOG. Thou shalt also state how thou camest to decide heading, MSA and fuel requirements. And I ask thee - is a PLOG necessary? Thou art commanded to tell me thy heading, altitude and ETA as soon as thou hast decided these. If thou later changeth these, then shall thou also tell me.

I may check thy PLOG after the flight, I shall keep mine own PLOG, worry thee not about that which I shall be scribing.

Dost thou know of any NOTAMs or Royal Flights?

The first leg shall be navigated purely visually; thou mayest not use radio aids for fixing on the first leg, but may prepare thy navaids for use on the next leg. But should I desire that such navaids shallt be detuned, then verily shall I reinstate them for the second leg.

Continue to navigate to thy turning point until I advise thee of a diversion. Then, when thou hast calculated them, advise me of thy revised heading, altitude and ETA when thou canst. Continue visually until I advise thee that we hath encountered IMC. I will assist thee with thy erection of thy screens. Whilst under the screens I shall be thy safety pilot and may amend thy choice of altitude or FL. Thou shall however, continue to be responsible for navigation and ATC liaison.

Continue to navigate to thy diversion and take radio fixes as thou so desirest. Thou mayest use any fixing facility except Radar position and GPS/RNAV, but thou mayest use GPS/RNAV to confirm a fix that thou hast already made. I may require that thou takest a radio fix, log it and plottest it on thy map.

Then shall I help thee remove the screens, continue to navigate to the diversion in VMC using visual or radio aids as thou so desirest. Thou mayst orbit the diversion point, should thou so wish.

Having completed the navigation element, then shall I require thee to intercept and track to or from a radio navigation facility radial of my choice which may not be the one which thou hath already used. However, I may include this requirement within thy earlier navigation"

And the applicant listened unto the Examiner and became calm. For he had practised with diligence under his FI and knew not to be afraid.

Here endeth the lesson.