PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 22:09
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
We were discussing 447, and Lufty/Hamburg.
Which highlight shortcomings in the Airbus sidestick system when used improperly...

Up jumps Egypt
Which highlights shortcomings with connected yokes...

and Lyman is in the weeds.
So you only want to talk about things that the sidestick detractors agree with. With you. I respectfully decline.

Simples. LH Captain/F/O dynamic with yokes: "Fräulein, Geben sie mir"
"Naturlich, Kaptain"...... Sharklet remains virgin. Ja?
It would have worked the same if the override system had been used properly with sidesticks. The issue is using the tools to hand *correctly*. Done properly with the sidestick or yoke system, there'd have been no issue. The problem was that the system was used incorrectly, and could have been used incorrectly no matter what the control method.

Because her yoke is visible, the commander acts quickly, and there is no cross command, IMHO.
Opinion yes. It's not a certainty.

They hadn't jihadists aboard
El-Batouti was no jihadist - he was a man with financial problems who'd just been disqualified from transatlantic routes.

mm43 - I agree absolutely it's irrelevant here, but sadly we're at that point on the hamster wheel again.

I disagree that having the SS position indicator on the PFD would help particularly though. The reason I disagree is because there have been too many incidents where the yoke position has been ignored during a pressure situation - I really don't think it's as big a deal as some make it out to be. The Captain of AF447 didn't put the evidence of roll and pitch instability plus a rapidly unwinding altimeter together in time, so all a position indicator would likely have done would be to have contributed to information overload. Besides, in the A320 sim, standing over the centre console I could see enough of the sidesticks to judge position to some degree - and I'm not a tall guy!

Based on what I know I can only conclude that sidestick position is a red herring here. The PNF could have locked the PF out at any point and didn't - he seemed unsure as to whether he had the authority to do so and was waiting for the Captain. When he arrived, the Captain's first action was to take the troubleshooting phase back to square one, which cost them more time than they had. Judging by the CVR, the PNF had a handle on what was wrong from the outset and consistently showed better judgment than the PF. Unfortunately, for whatever reason, he lacked the confidence to act directly on what he believed to be the best course of action.