PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 21:44
mm43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This ongoing Yoke v SS argument is IMHO not relevant to the loss of AF447. Why? Because in this case other factors were at work, i.e.
  • Lack of CRM,
  • Lack of communication,
  • Lack of knowledge,
  • Lack of relevant training, and
  • Failure to follow SOPs.
Yes, it may have helped the situation if the SS position was being displayed on the PFDs, but it wasn't and with all the other problems just listed, there is no guarantee that the outcome would have been much different. To give Capt Dubois some credit, I suspect that if he had seen the SS position floating up high on the overly blue PFDs on his return to the cockpit, in all probability he would have regained the LHS and done something about it.

I raised the issue of the "Iron Cross" displaying when in ground mode, and the possibility of it being displayed in flight mode when the A/P is disconnected in AF447 Thread No.3. CON fiture disagreed at the time, but if it were displayed, it would certainly identify the "mayonnaise makers" whether SIM borne or airborne.

My only other suggestion is that the color of the cross change to orange for dual inputs and to red if priority control has been taken.

Last edited by mm43; 5th May 2012 at 03:07. Reason: grammar