PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 17:00
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Dozy....Quote:

Originally Posted by jcjeant
"The problem is to see the position of the stick......."

How often is that really necessary though? To my mind there's only one incident where it might have helped (the aforementioned LH incident). In that incident, the landing conditions were marginal and the F/O should not really have been attempting the landing. The Captain broke procedure by snatching the stick without first overriding it.

It is not acceptable to ignore an unsafe condition by asking a rhetorical question? "How often is that really necessary, though?"

I submit the Captain in Lufthansa incident was responding to a result of input, not a controls condition...ipso facto, your argument does not apply. Had he seen her 'wheel' command a bank radically to the right, he would have had a time advantage, and been able to avoid a 200kEuro repair.....

Throughout the CVR, and I mean no disrespect to the unfortunate souls on board, well, I'd post Abbott and Costello's "Who's on first?". Substantially, if not wholly, the confusion re: "climb, not climb, down not down, UP, no down, ok not down," was exacerbated by the lack of understanding v/v the SS, either/or or both. The 'handoffs' problem was collateral, and after the fact.....