PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Retreating Blade Stall No 2
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2012, 16:34
baobab72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retreating blade stall

hi folks from a jet jockey but madly in love with helicopters

i am reading a couple of manuals about helicopters, one being learning to fly helicopters by padfield, and i just learnt a couple of things that puzzled me:

why in a retreating blade stall the nose is pitching up? i guess it has to do with gyroscopic precession of the main rotor system but i can not quite get a full grasp on it!

on more advanced helicopters the throttle grisp is gone from the collective and that it is replaced by knurled switches for fine tuning and engine speed levers, how do they work? i am familiar with turbine engines, although i have never flown a turboprop, but i guess it is something similar to a fadec, just wondering what the available options are - SHUTOFF, GROUND IDLE, FLIGHT IDLE? - how do you use them and how do you fine tune

last but not least, at some point it mentions a very good exercise to acquire muscle memory practicing with a broom stick mimicking a collective while seated on a chair and lifting the stick up while adding power - knurles towards your body - spelling out power on, and doinf the opposite calling power off: an old assignment from his early days i guess!

any other advise on which book to read it would be very appreciated!!

many thanks for your help

baobab72