PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cimber Sterling - Danish regional announces bankruptcy
Old 3rd May 2012, 20:46
bananamanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with the seniments expressed that this is a sad day for aviation with both Cimber Sterling & bmibaby effectively bowing out. I was only in Copenhagen a few weeks ago and it was the first time I'd seen the 737's with the viking livery on the tail. They were impressive looking aircraft and and always it was a pleasure to see and hear the ATR's.

There are so many hundreds of people that work tirelessly at these airlines, that take pride in building the reputation of the airlines and create what must be like extended families. It is always sad, I think, when an airline ceases. I think airlines are more than just businesses. They envoke other emotions, beit of patriotism or safety, something homely or exotic.

It seems that the way of the world right now is that "big is best". Only the biggest airlines with the deepest pockets can survive. I don't like this personally, I'd rather there be a mix of airlines, of choices.

It's good that we have Ryanair, EasyJet, Norweigian, but equally it's good that we have SAS, Finnair, the 'legacies'. But so to it's important that we have the regionals. Unfortunately without the critical mass, they don't always have the financial cushion to work through the bad times.

Finncomm is now Flybe Nordic, Wideroe (although retaining it's livery) is now SAS, Aer Arann now operates only under Aer Lingus Regional. Our skies are going the way of the USA. Every airport will see the same few carriers.

I feel somewhat guilty for starting this thread, and for making further comment since I have not been fortunate enough to fly with either Cimber Sterling or bmibaby. However that doesn't lessen my thoughts to the people that care about what they do, how their company's are perceived and the pride they have in the brands that serve the public.

This really is a tough, unforgiving and sometimes heartless industry.

So whilst I may not have sampled the services, I would, since I started this depressing thread, like to say best of luck to everyone that has worked in the Cimber, Sterling, bmibaby. None of us ever knows what the future really holds, but let us all hope that better things will come.