PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenpeace activists paraglides into French nuclear reactor
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:37
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with Greens/Antis is that they never come up with any reasonable compromise or idea. Its their way or no way. For example, despite all the vast improvements in fuel economy, noise pollution etc. the Antis are still completely opposed to aviation and in their view the only way to "solve" he "problem" is to, and I quote from the notorious organisation "Plane Stupid", "Bring the aviation industry down to Earth". And so it is with their view on nuclear power.
I think that's unfair - environmentalists such as James Lovelock have spoken out in favour of nuclear power. If you try to put a wind turbine on the roof of your house, the people asking whether you've installed insulation first are likely to be environmentalists. George Monbiot has written articles condemning the tiny wind turbines you see installed all over sheltered industrial estates in an attempt to 'greenwash' them.

But the truth of the matter is simply that the majority of people, environmentalist or otherwise, have a pretty poor grasp of reality and are generally unaware of it.

Personally, I used to support nuclear power... The worst that can happen if it all goes belly-up is that you get an unplanned wildlife sanctuary. But these days some of the alternatives such as wind and solar power really do seem to be becoming more viable. There are plans for intelligent grids where large cooling plants and factories shut down during times of high demand, that may counter some of the issues with continuity of supply. Alas I have to admit that I'm simply not capable of determining the difference between viable technologies and the hype any more. At least, not all of the time.

Incidentally, googling around I'm seeing values of 1.5% (2007) to 3.5% (2013, projected) for the proportion of the UK's energy that's generated by wind. I don't know where the 1% figure came from. Personally I find wind turbines attractive, in moderation, and at some point I'd like to fly out over some offshore wind turbines. One of the things I enjoy about flying is seeing the industrial infrastructure that the planners have worked so hard to hide.