PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37.5 degree angle of bank, one engine out, gear down and at 500 feet
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:45
tbaylx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sure as heck isn't good airmanship to lower the gear on an engine failure after t/o.

"well we hit that hill off the end of the runway cause we couldn't maintain second segment climb, but at least we had the gear down"

I'd rather meet my climb gradients with the gear stuck up and do a controlled landing gear up on the runway then hit an obstacle on climb out. Nothing in that report suggested good airmanship or decision making skills, in fact the exact opposite.

A routine failure that crews should be able to handle as a non event (see thomson bird strike at about the same spot for an example of how a professional crew might handle this) came very close to becoming a fatal accident..again due to poor crew training and or abilities.

A v1 cut is one of the most basic maneuvers trained in the sim, yet this crew was unable to complete it in a safe manner. The only reason this ended well is luck. If you think otherwise, next time you're doing a v1 cut in the sim, try reducing the thrust on the good engine, lowering your previously retracted gear and commencing a 30+ degree banked turn below 400' on departure and let me know what your instructor has to say about your good airmanship and decision making.