PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 37.5 degree angle of bank, one engine out, gear down and at 500 feet
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:58
DOVES

DOVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shame!

The right turn towards north reached a maximum bank angle of 37.5° and minimum speed of 156 kt288.912 km/h 80.184 m/s IAS, just below the applicable V2 speed, and the aircraft eventually reached a height of just under 500 feet152.4 m agl. From there, a slow descent had begun which only stopped at 352 feet107.29 m following the first of many GPWS activations, in this instance Mode 3 “DON’T SINK”.
You all teach me that V2 = equal or more than 1,1 VMCA and 1,2 Vs. With such a bank Vs increment is 14%, so they were only: 0,2 – 0,14 = 1,06 Vs. We all know that a swept wing stalls at the end first generating a strong pitch up moment, and with the asymmetric thrust they had, God only knows why they didn’t get into a spin.
§ During the refresher training for Atlas Blue and Royal Air Maroc pilots, they were not trained to deal with multiple (??? MERE “ENG. FAIL!!!”)malfunctions during the flight.
§ Prior to every recurrent training pilots of Atlas Blue and Royal Air Maroc were taught about the specific malfunctions that would occur. This is not unusual in the context of flight training practice, but the consequence was that the pilots did not learn how to respond to unexpected effects (WHAT???).
§ Dealing with multiple malfunctions featured only in the initial training for Captains.
In my aviation career I’ve been trained/checked (and I did it to my students) at least 40 x 3 = 120 times, and in IMC, and from airports like Zurich, not a plateau like Schiphol airport, in many aicraft types simulators.
Shame on those responsible.
Fly Safe
DOVES