PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 09:00
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
current RAF test pilot, Jim Schofield, is a Harrier mate by background including CVS ops but having done ETPS has over 80 different types in his logbook if I recall the press release. BAES have 2 test pilots flying F35 inc Pete 'Wizzer' Wilson who started life in the RAF but then turned Dark Blue and flew SHAR. He has flown both B and C also.

I've heard that the first serving RN pilot starts this year and if the name is correct he has significant experience on both SHAR and Super Hornet.
Good morning White Overalls and thank you very much for replying and I have NO doubt the British pilots that are flying our F-35B are indeed highly qualified pilots with a wealth of experience and hopefully I never suggested anything other that that.

My question though is... If the only means of FJ transport they have experienced aboard a carrier is STOVL, then how can they make any type of judgement? I am NOT being critical of these pilots, their qualifications do all the necessary talking, but is a highly qualified pilot that has flown SHAR, GR9 and had a tour aboard a US carrier flying the F-18 a better option to advise on the suitability of what type of the F-35 is better suited to our needs? They might not have the same qualifications as the current pilot, but the qualifications they do have MIGHT make them better suited to compare these tangerines and oranges.

My research has shown the first RN pilot to be appointed to join the F-35 program will not be flying until next year but whether it is later this year or next... it is academic as they should possibly have already had the opportunity? (question)

Bottom line as you rightly suggest:

It makes no difference though as the Treasury are calling the shots and wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an F-35, F-18 or GR9 anyway

I am told this is one of the latest picture of F-35B

It looks like our illustrious Members of Parliament are now becoming experts in all things military

Armed Forces Parliamentary Scheme

In order to graduate from the scheme Members are required to spend twenty-two days in any one year on active service with units in one of the branches of the Armed Forces .. Twenty two days should be enough..... makes me wonder why it takes years to train our officers

Last edited by glojo; 3rd May 2012 at 11:17. Reason: Added information