PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Use of manual/continuous ignition
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2012, 02:52
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it common in jet or turbo-prop aircraft for manufacturers to recommend putting on "Auto-Ignition" or "Continuous Ignition" (or whatever a particular manufacturer calls it) for turbulence? And why?
By personal set of mind, I've always thought it might have something to do with the sudden change/loss/interruption of air flow going through the intake. By that definition, I only put the ignition on in very strong turbulence, not just any little shudder.

One situation I also like to have the ignition on is when I'm landing in possible gusts or some sort of windshear. Why? Aircraft has low forward speed so lower quantity of air going into the engine and I've always thought that in the case I need a large increase in power to correct for speed or in the worst case, a go around, the low forward speed plus the now bigger demand of air from the engine and a large angle of attack in the case of the go around, if a shear or a gust attacks, sufficient air may not reach the engine and cause a flame out. This has only been a personal thought and is not an excerpt from any source, so usual caveats apply