PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:37
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they were getting that bank rate in clear air, then yes - prompt and expedited correction would be necessary. But they were *in turbulence*, and even in light chop, an aircraft can attain split-second accelerations that if continued would have them saying "Hi" to astronauts on one direction, submariners in another, and Australians in roll (if you're from the Northern Hemisphere).

But these accelerations are transitory, and even if they weren't we're talking 8.6 degrees of bank at handoff - most airliner turns can go between 10 to 25 degrees without unduly scaring us SLF.

In my opinion, there was time to wait and observe - but given the situation and the way it escalated I'm sympathetic to the instincts of the PF.

Please remember that I am sympathetic to the crew's position in general, and always have been. They were faced with a situation that for whatever reason their employers had not fully prepared them for either in terms of understanding or in terms of how to improvise if the published procedure didn't work. Based on the incomplete information we have now, my opinion is that we have a complex, systemic failure here - not a cut-and-dried case of pilot error (in fact I believe firmly that such cases are fairly few and far between at the ATPL level - just look at the stick I got on the Paul Holmes/Erebus thread for advancing that viewpoint!).

If I can abandon my usual desire to be dispassionate, looking at the traces to answer PJ2 showed me a period of 8-10 seconds where the roll had been ironed out and it looked like the PF was starting to get on top of things, only for the Stall Warning to kick in and startle him into fumbling the controls - pretty heartbreaking.

Last edited by DozyWannabe; 3rd May 2012 at 00:02.