PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:17
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Doze.... "Only once the evidence came back that suggested pretty conclusively that neither had occurred. Prior to that the most accurate thing anyone could say was that it was unlikely, and attempt to explain why it was unlikely with the facts at their disposal (as I did)."

I agree, Doze. I think it is unlikely, but it is possible. For a suspicion, I think the roll rate out of AutoFlight was pretty impressive, and Direct involves the outers, no? Damaged Right aileron, stuck a little, UP? A chronic right roll,then. Even after Roll was 'sorted', the a/c kept turnong to the right (Skidding?). Bent actuators? Who knows.

gums, don't short sell Boyd, he was a genius. O, and O were not new, they are nothing more than situational awareness. Boyd put S/A together with Decide and Act to close the circle, but there is more. Four parts OODA is four too many, to be triumphant requires instantaneous decisioning. Boyd's point was to make O,O into OO, then into ODA, then DA, then A.

No soldier who pauses to think will live, let alone prevail. Practicing OODA was prelude, if you are still in OODA, you should not be engaging the enemy. OODA teaches competence, and with competence come experience, and with experience and knowledge,wisdom. With wisdom, one can try for Intuition.

Boyd's philosophy hadn't to do with partitioning the process of thought/action, but in developing the means to enter the enemy's mind, and baffle him by pre-empting his best work.

Until one masters OODA, one cannot get to ODA, or DA. And the Goal is ACT.

For if you think, you die. Anyone who wants to get a glimpse of Boyd's genius must read this: Creation, and Destruction. He was way ahead of his time, and could have kept Einstein guessing, and in awe.

Any pilot at 35000 in ITCZ and on autopilot who doesn't know instantly where to put the nose and the throttles should OTTO dump, should not be at 35000 in the ITCZ at the controls of a beast. Keeping up is not enough, one must get to, and remain, in front.

Last edited by Lyman; 2nd May 2012 at 20:31.