PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Android Aviators
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:33
Phil Histine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capitulated...

Like others on this forum, I've been hanging on in the hope that Android aviation apps would catch up with Apple's, but with the arrival of SkyDemon on the iPad I've given up and now fly with an iPad 3 on a yoke mount. It's a bit larger than i would like, but in every other way it's outstanding and there's no competition. I still have PocketFMS avaialble on my HD2 Windows Mobile phone as backup (until my subscription runs out) but both this software and the device feel completely outdated compared to SD on iPad. I personally hate Apple's grasping and controlling business model, but I'm putting up with it in order to run SD's fabuous software. If SD ported to Android, I might consider getting a ICS 7" tablet, but only if it performed like the iPad in terms of battery life, screen brightness, etc. Pocket FMS are trying to port their programme to Andoid, but the beta version on the Playstore at the moment is primitive to say the least. Which is a pity, because with hyper-fast, large-screen Android phones arriving daily (Samsung Note, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy SIII) there are great platforms for aviation navigation readily available.