PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greenpeace activists paraglides into French nuclear reactor
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:08
lasseb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soay, I don't think you actually know anything about nuclear power with that statement. The lethal time range for the isotopes currently used is in the range 50-100 years. (unless you consume them)

The solution for nuclear power (i.e. dig stuff up, use it, then put it back underground again) is a hell of a lot better than what we currently are doing with the majority of power plants, where the lethal pollution is just lead out in free air causing all sorts of cancer cases.
Windfarms - unfortunately - can never produce the amount of power that we require.. not even close. We are talking less than a percent currently in the western world. Globally it is unmeasurable.

After 9/11 there was a lot of debate about what would happen if a plane where to make a direct hit to a nuclear power plant. The conclusion was that nothing would happen (to the plant.. not the plane ). I seriously doubt that a paraglider - even stuffed with TNT - can do any harm to a power plant. Except on people.