PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rival unions target Qantas
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 11:18
listentome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The intent of the A licence was not to give Ames any certification ability on a similar level to a lame, in fact it is quite restrictive. The A licence is actually used to its full intent and extent by providing existing experienced lames authorisarions at a task level on other aircraft types. For example, a lame exercising the privileges of a type under a company authorisation will already have an A licence but no authority unless the individual has a task level authority for such things as a wheel change or fluid replenishment. It is not a type rating, it merely allows a lame with a full type, who has been trained for a particular task to do that task and certify it on a type they do not have. It doesn't allow for trouble shooting, interpretation of a defect or certification or supervision of others work on that task. This is what the A licence is designed for, the A licence task extension to an ame is quite a different path and a difficult feat. It would hardly be worth the effort for an organisation to design and approve a process that gives any more value than merely using the A licences you already have wih your current lames. You would gain more productivity from each individual, which would drive less overall headcount, rather than still having half unproductive skilled staff and half productive unskilled staff. My take anyway, shoot me down....