PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates airline to hire 4,500 staff starting April
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:38
LLuCCiFeR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not understand why F/O's will go to airlines in Asia (such as KAL) with no chance for upgrade rather than go to Emirates and in 4-5 years be flying left seat on a B777. Maybe that is why several expat F/O's have left KAL and gone to Emirates. Even some of the korean F/O's are considering leaving KAL. That should tell you something.
I can understand your point about being a permanent contract FO and I also understand that KAL is not heaven on earth, but unfortunately there are no real good expat jobs in SE Asia anymore for those that don't want to live in the Middle East.

Sure, an upgrade is nice and also an important step in someone's career, but lifestyle (living among nice & tolerant people, great food, nature, sports, outdoor activities etc) is also important and personally I would kill for a decent (read: national airline, not low cost!) permanent job in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, or Hong Kong.

Emirates? That 'other-airline-in-the-UAE-that-nobody-is-allowed-to-mention?' Qatar? Middle East? No thanks, only if I really must, no matter how quick the upgrade or the money. I prefer to work in order to live, not the other way around trapped in an air conditioned sandbox, but hey, each to their own.