PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulence and feet per second
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2012, 05:22
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For most readers of this thread I'm probably teaching my grandmother how to suck eggs with this C210 pre flight check to determine if the horizontal stabilizer to fuselage attachments are ok.
Grip the outboard end of horizontal stabilizer and push it up and down a few inches (fairly slowly.don't use excessive force.)

You should hear an oil canning noise as the skin flexes. This noise is ok
If you hear a crunchy or grating noise DON'T FLY.

If this test only prevents 1 accident it was worth boring those who already include it in their pre flight checks.

To recognize the difference between an oil canning noise and the dreaded crunchy noise I
recommend the following procedure.

1) Empty one aluminum beer can

2) Lightly squeeze and release the can several times between thumb and forefinger. That noise is oil canning or in this case beer canning.

3)Now using a screwdriver or knife rip and tear a break approximately half way round the circumference of the can. Grasp each end of the can and slightly rotate the ends back and forth in opposite directions. That is the crunchy "DON"T FLY" noise.

When Mrs RA politely inquired why I had just drunk 8 VBs I just as politely informed her that the recommended procedure would have to stand up to peer group review and one couldn't be too careful. The mower shed isn't all that cold and uncomfortable.

I recommend the above procedure to anyone unsure of the noises they should be listening out for whilst performing the essential horizontal stabilizer pre flight check.
Cheers RA