PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - This is not about better stick and rudder skills.
Old 1st May 2012, 22:59
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sometimes I read things here and just shake my head. Sure, there are issues of swept wing planes that need covering in any transition. Indeed, it is my opinion that the most difficult planes to fly have been non swept wing.

The B737 is a pussycat compared to a turboprop known as the MU2.

AT 40,000 feet there is a drop off in performance...but come on...what terrain is that high that you have to out climb?

in 37 years of flying, I will say that getting the job done in an underpowered light twin is more demanding than any jet transport built in the last 40 years or so. in a jet, you don't have to ''feather'' a prop and get it right the first time.

there is not so much difference...but one must use their mind to be a better pilot. one must think faster and be prepared for all the little things that a piper cub pilot would have to think about....even a total power failure.

Sully and the hudson have been mentioned...oh come on...looking for a place to set her down in an emergency is private pilot stuff...its just we don't think it will happen in a jet.

4 pilots in the sim were given the sully scenario and all 4 made it to LGA for a landing...of course they knew what was coming. Adding thirty seconds to actually grasp what happened made the hudson a better choice due to the change in energy, altitude and options.

BUT IF WE HAD been as prepared as a private pilot in single engine plane on evey jet flight, the miracle on the hudson would have turned into an incident at LGA.

I encourage anyone moving from a light plane to a jet to invest in a copy of the following books: "handling the big jets" by DP davies, and "Fly the Wing" by Webb.