PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wannabe
Thread: Wannabe
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2001, 17:51
mcc132

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

GDwyer

I disagree with piperindian. Your looking at perhaps another 6 months before you get your PPL. Then depending on your choice to either train for your ATPL (Assuming that’s what you want to do) by the modular or integrated route, you’re looking an a few more years before being out and about looking for a job. In 2-3 years time the world will be a bit different (hopefully better for aviation) and there should be more jobs around.

Just remember that the current slow down is nothing like the one experienced during the gulf war and the recession of the early 1990’s – its comparatively mild. I was at the aviation jobs fair in London a few months ago (Perhaps you were there?) and there were some great seminars, one in particular given by a very experienced pilot and former Oxford Aviation instructor. He explained that it's mainly the airlines that rely on the Trans-Atlantic route are struggling at the moment, and that low-cost short-haul carriers are booming. What’s more, the likes of Ryanair prefer to take on new pilots because they are more likely to stay with them on their 737’s, where as the 747 pilots that could be recruited from the current pool of pilots will ****** off at the first sniff of a long-haul job.

If you haven’t already got it, then buy ‘The Guide to Getting a Commercial Pilots Licence’ by Clive Hughes. You can buy it at <a href="http://www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk." target="_blank">www.ppl-atpl.demon.co.uk.</a>

In terms of age, I'd move quick because 30-35 is around the top end that airlines will consider you - after all they are just after value for money through long service.

One thing that piperindian was right on was that your should enjoy your PPL as much as possible. Ultimately it’s your decision, but if you have the passion then go for it!