PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 22:01
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
To my defense of confusing reversion

So I look up the reversion laws and sub-laws and sub-sub-laws. Then read the footnotes and such, and then I get upset. Sorry, but I want/need something to hang my hat on.

And only thing I have if my touch and feel and experience. You know, "talk to me baby. What's this thing doing? I can help."

So Here's the notes from the A330 flight control reversion when outta basic control laws.

(a) alpha floor is lost. AOA is still monitored but warnings relate now to stall speed rather than AOA. Refer LOW SPEED STABILITY. If VS1G cannot be calculated due to loss of weight or slat/flap position information then there is no AOA protection at all.

Between alpha prot and alpha max, the sidestick commands AOA directly. Autopilot disconnects. TOGA lock is activated when AOA reaches alpha floor. This protection never allows alpha max to be exceeded. Stall AOA is greater than alpha max [ no kidding]

Protection totally lost if DUAL ADR failure or ADR disagree.
I was pretty good in school, but would have trouble on a test with these footnotes. Sheesh.

If WOW, then I don't care about other things not agreeing as long as the AOA probes are not all reading the same value and don't move when I pull or push a bit ( and would expect a warning of some kind). Of course, I could prolly "feel" some burble" "buffet" or wing rock or other things that let me know I am getting where I don't want to be.

So I do not let the 'bus design off the hook. I go with lottsa crew error in technique and coordination, but also question the basic design philosophy and training.