PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on Victor XA929 crash in Cyprus 16th June 1962
Old 1st May 2012, 19:37
jtbeaky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Victor XA929 Crash June 1962

I was a Junior Technician (Instruments Gen) at RAF Akrotiri when Victor XA929 crashed. I saw the aftermath briefly as a station emergency call was made for all available personell to make their way to crash site.

I was at the rear of E&I section at the time take-off commenced. My Section Commander had killed a cat on his way to work that morning and asked me to help bury it.

Whilst doing this I heard the engines going to full throttle and then the engine note changed and appeared to throttle back. I immediately commented that the Aircraft was in trouble. It was said at the time that a flash-call had been to the Control Tower because hydraulic fluid had been seen coming from underneath the aircraft. Throttle was then clearly re-applied and it was obvious to me that the aircraft was in trouble, A remark I made to my boss. The sirens started and PA call was made. It was patently obvious when we arrived at the crash site that there was little anyone could do and I recall there was a countermand to all non essential personnel to return to work.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family despite the 50 years since it happened.