PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - individual rosters
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2002, 11:42
eyeinthesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO to individual rosters!

Batchbabe: It's 'misogynist'!

I have to agree with many of the comments so far with regard to 'no night shifts because of childcare' or 'I want to work every Monday morning, Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday evening because I can't afford childcare' or whatever. Yes there indeed hard luck cases, ans these deserve sensitive treatment, but there are also many couples, BOTH OF WHOM work in ATC and drive in in new cars, who demand special treatment because they want to have their cake and eat it.
Sorry, but in this life you have to make choices. If you decide to have children, then that is the biggest investment of time and money you will make in your life. They should be a priority, and providing for their needs should be top of the list. If that requires you sacrificing some of the 3 holidays a year and maybe one of you giving up work to care for them, then that's what it's all about. Alternatively, the £100k+ between you should be enough to pay for a full time nanny if you think that's better.

Whatever, why should the rest of us, many of whom also have families, take the extra burden of your selfishness? I like to be with my kids too, but I have to spend a large part of two days asleep, and they have to keep relatively quiet, so I can go in to do the night duties that you decide is too much to ask. So I and my family are affected by your unwillingness to make sacrifices in your own life. Thanks.

I can't really seem how objecting to that can be termed 'turning inwards and attacking each other '. Seems only fair to me to expect everyone to pull their weight.

As for the wider issue of individual rosters, like many I fear that the more vocal will get what they want (B watch LACC being a good example!!) whilst the rest of us will have to fill in the gaps. Bad idea, and a right bastard for planning childcare!!