PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK NPAS discussion: thread Mk 2
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 11:25
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
F4F
Flight following is not the same as a (Basic) Service from London Info or an ATCU. A service from an ATCU is well and good in the West Midlands, or the like, but does not fit the bill for the rural areas like the East of England during late or night shifts when there is little if any ATCU cover. London Info will give a service but not the regular opps normal that is required to ensure a timely reaction to an aircraft being overdue. Therefore it is essential that lip service is not paid to this vital safety system.
I would have to ask why isn't a service other than Basic being requested? A basic service gives you autonomy the others give you someone watching over you.

I understand what you are saying, but is there a problem over there asking for a Traffic or Deconfliction service or simply saying you will call on the half hour?
Besides, going back to what system we are all using now, who are you talking to when out on a task?

If I may refer to the PAOM "Should communication not be possible because of terrain factors, the pilot shall establish and maintain communication with the relevant police control room."