PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jobs in Africa (2011 onwards) part 3.
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2012, 03:36
lilflyboy262...2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The C206 is the mainstay of all the fleets. The C210 not so much now. There is one or two in a few of the companies fleets. The new kid on the block is definitely the GA8 airvan. Although they wont let you loose on that until you have 400hrs.

3 Companies have C172's, with one of the other companies looking at rebuilding their one.

Don't bother with the C208 rating. It is expensive to train on and they wont let you near one until you have at least 1000hrs. You have to do a Turbine Certificate of Test every 12 months, and it will take you at least 5hrs to get back up to speed after not flying one for over a year.
You can get trained by the company in that space of time. And have them pay for it.

If you are going to get time, do your training, or at least part of it in a C172. Then as much time as you can afford in a C206 ( I know that they aren't cheap! )

I would suggest at least spending a bit of time learning about VOR's and a bit of actual IMC stuff. Sometimes in the summer, IMC can't be avoided even though you are "VFR" as well as them using VOR radials to seperate you from inbound IFR traffic.
I'm not sure if wilderness still requires you to have a IFR rating or not. But it was always something they could use to weed you out from the others. That being said...if you have permits already prior to getting there... then that's a whole new board game.