PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Climb Questions
Thread: Climb Questions
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2002, 08:33
Noise Unit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mutt

To clarify my interest.

What conditions determine whether climb derate is selected? I believe that aircraft weight and (to a lesser degree) temperature determine the level of climb derate theoretically available.

Is the following correct?

TO derate is a function of aircraft weight, temperature, humidity and the runway conditions (runway length, stopways, clearways, elevation, wind, obstacles, slope, wet/contaminated etc).

Climb derate is a function of aircraft weight, temperature (which varies less at altitude) and occasionally terrain avoidance (like GVA).

I am aware of the Boeing concept of defaulting the climb derate to the TO derate (Is this the same for Airbus aircraft?). I also realise that it is possble to manually select the level of climb derate.

Thus, what criteria are considered when manually selecting climb derate in each of the three situations?

i) RTOW limited take-off (full TO thrust required) with a relatively low TOW (short runway)?

ii) Aircraft at MTOW but operating from a very long runway (significant TO derate possible)?

iii) If take-off derate is selected using flexTO or Assumed Temperature Method (rather than DERATE 1 or 2)?

Capt SandL

Thanks for the link - very interesting.