PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2012, 19:05
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Widger

Apart from the Falklands when have British interests been seriously at risk due to a lack of thru deck carriers?
You are misquoting me. I never said British interests were at risk and we have not had a lack of 'through deck carriers (sic)'.

I said that the RN has learnt to its cost, time and again the limitations of Through Deck Cruisers operating Harrier (RN or RAF variety).

The CVS were compromised operating as anything other than ASW platforms and the Harrier was compromised by operating from it. The 'delta' (horrible term) between the Invincible Class and the likes of HMS Ark Royal of the 1970s, is huge! In every area of conflict since 1979, the RN could have played a much bigger and more effective role, in support of wider Defence, than it has done. My point about the utility of Air Power from the sea, being lost on a generation, is clearly summed up by your post.

QEC will be a National asset that will be able to fulfill a very large number of Defence tasks. This is something that a previous poster has alluded to.

QEC will be able to sail into a port and exert Defence Diplomacy for friendly nations. (Yes including hosting the Cocktail party that some posters mock but fail to understand that value of).

That same ship will be able to poise of a coast for weeks, without the need for Host Nation Support or having to negotiate/cajole/argue with a 'friendly' state to base its aircraft there.

QEC will be able to exert influence over most areas of the world. The weapon systems onboard, will be able to strike, defend, gather intelligence, provide support etc, all for weeks on end with minimal physical or cultural footprint.

QEC will be able to protect the interests of the UK in all those areas of the world where it still has an interest...those same areas also holding reserves of minerals etc. which in years to come, will be the UK's children's inheritance.

QEC will be able to operate helicopters, provide disaster relief, evacuate citizens, (without having to rely on Cyprus), provide medical facilities, engineering, rest and recuperation for troops, etc etc etc. It will be excellent value for money and all of a sudden, the UK will have a very 'in demand' capability. The issue is........what to fly off it and can the UK afford those aircraft?

All spelling mistakes are because Eastenders is on and I have fat fingers.