PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No cats and flaps ...... back to F35B?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2012, 18:45
Fedaykin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually within his rant I see some of his bull****ting antics of old flaring up again:

What say you to the insider information that the Eurofighter radomes are now cracking up and falling off in the air during manoeuvre?
Thats news to me, that would be a major flight incident that would more then likely lead to a grounding. Haven't heard about any such groundings for this reason and even if it is true might well not be BAE Systems fault as it is a multinational design.

not to mention many others including the Tornado F3 weapons system
Much has been written about the F3 Tornado's weapons system over the years but the early issues can't really be laid at BAe's door considering it was a GEC-Marconi Elliott Avionic Systems Ltd radar and weapon system, not forgetting Ferrenti who made significant components of the system but answered directly to the MOD. Actually it was BAE Systems after various mergers who eventually fixed it and upgraded it into what was a very effective system in its later years. Another thing about the Tornado ADV weapon system is in many ways much of the earlier flack was slightly unfair on the developers. Even early on the RAF started to ask for capabilities that were never put into the weapon system specification. Some capabilities that were available on the older Phantom curiously, the manufacturers are not telepathic if they are not asked for something they won't include it. Frankly that shows poor planning on the MOD/RAF side rather then the manufacturers.

Nimrod’s total lack of airworthiness and maintainability
Maybe maybe not, certainly I think BAE should of proffered some alternatives to the Nimrod airframe but done is done. No RAF aircraft enters service without defects and maintainability is down to how much you are prepared to spend. Neither MR2 or MRA4 lacked airworthiness, one had been operated ten to fifteen years beyond its planned OSD with all the associated risks and the latter was still in flight trials.

the huge cost of maintaining Tornado GR4 in service
What are those costs? What are they in comparison to other types? What capabilities do we lose if we decide to retire them now? What capabilities would of been lost if we had retained a different type? Are other Tornado operators paying significantly less then the RAF? The RAF and MOD clearly think its a type worth retaining, we could shop around for maintenance with the other Tornado operators if we so wished. Or keep the money in the UK and it should be noted the F3 fleet is being gutted to support the GR4's...good cost saving there I would think.

the inability of the Storm Shadow missile to guide properly to its target or for its warhead to work correctly, etc
I would say Storm Shadow performance is probably highly classified making any rumours rather suspect (except for the arch bull****ter that is..)! Any navigation issues or warhead problems haven't exactly been made clear to the public and considering it is a MBDA weapon based on a French designed missile parking any problem directly at BAE Systems door is rather unfair yet again.