PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mouldy Quarters at RAF Brize Norton.
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2012, 13:35
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
DHE haven't existed for almost 10 years, but moving on...

It is difficult to balance a call-out on a weekend. A blocked toilet would meet the criteria, as would the loss of hot water! But as an SDO I received loads of spurious calls for 'works services' after hours or weekends and tried to put myself in their situation. Correct me if I am wrong, but MHS now manages a call centre to handle enquiries directly, generally not involving the OO.

When I worked at Lyneham many moons ago, I had an upstairs office and could see agrieved spouses, generally pushing a pram like a bulldozer across the car park, heading towards my building to complain to the staff about something to do with their quarter. I generally had time to call downstairs to get the kettle on and get the spouse into my office. Yes - they would have complaints about damp/smells/tripping CBs, whatever, but often there were bigger issues - money, hubby away (again), sick kids...you name it. Often they wanted someone to vent off at and also someone to listen to their frustrations. A cup of tea often worked wonders (mainly for me!). In those days I had a budget and staff - and the flexibility as a Flt Lt to do something about it. I could also call across to the SP or his Flt Cdr to have a gentle chat if this was warranted. It was also very satisfying to resolve seemingly complex situations with a little common sense. These weren't halcyon days, but the chain of responsibility was a lot, lot shorter than it is now - and quite clear. My OC SSS at the time - from whom I took a lot of useful lessons - is still in the housing business - as Master of the Royal Houshold, No 1, Mall London.