PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow Airport 'may not cope during Olympics'
Old 30th Apr 2012, 10:14
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
This is amusing:
Heathrow airport told to stop giving out leaflets over delays - Home News - UK - The Independent
Heathrow airport has been ordered by the Border Force to stop handing out leaflets to passengers acknowledging the “very long delays” at immigration. Amid increasing anger at the length of queues for travellers arriving at border control, airport operator BAA has tried to defuse tensions with a leaflet apologising for the problems. It said people arriving in the country “deserved a warmer welcome” and explained how to complain to the Home Office.

But Marc Owen, director of UK Border Agency operations at Heathrow, has told BAA that the leaflets are “inappropriate” and that ministers would take “a very dim view”.

In an email obtained by The Daily Telegraph, he said: “The leaflet... is both inflammatory and likely to increase tensions in arrivals halls especially in the current atmosphere. “It is inappropriate in that it is not for you to display how to complain on our behalf.

“Please refrain from handing out (the leaflets) or I will escalate (the matter) with ministers who are likely to take a very dim view. I know there are copies in the hall and your troops are ready with them.”

Mr Owen also told BAA to prevent passengers taking pictures in the arrivals hall. Pictures of lengthy queues have been posted on Twitter by frustrated people.
So, let's not allow people to take pictures and don't encourage them to complain - and everything will be all right ...

For once, I side with BAA who are trying to ensure they don't get the blame that belongs to the Border Agency, i.e. the Home Office.