PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Pension Increase April 2012
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2012, 09:20
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TM,

It might be cold comfort now, but the Forces Pension Society is well worth a few quid of anyone's money each year (no, I'm not on a retainer!).

FPS does get involved with resettlement I think, and offers a generic presentation although F-AFPS is going to see a higher level of involvement with 'stakeholders' about what AFPS will bring for members in the future at a far earlier stage of the careeer cycle. At present, there is still quite a high degree of disengagement because thats the nature of the beast - at 20 in the military, who thinks about retirement? I didn't!

Individuals with a relatively short earnings time-span and in such an all consuming military career need to focus all of their energy on excelling at it, because they want to stay alive. The general day to day management of finances becomes a secondary concern and when this happens, in my experience, servicemen sometimes find themselves in situations that could affect opportunities to either save or secure a post career retirement.