PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To PAN or not to PAN that is the question!
Old 30th Apr 2012, 03:32
bigbrother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I may offer some insight here. As a Military ATCO, the attitudes toward PAN's is somewhat different due to the ingraining of it as being part of the Flight Crew training from day 1. G.A training is different as attitudes of 'pay for service' became part of the fabric of the new world order. Operators who ultimately payed for any such service, put downward pressure on often junior instructors and pilots, and so the seeds were sown where such a call was frowned apon.

ATCO's have the right to initiate bringing emergency services to Immediate Standby when deemed appropriate. Aircrew may not even be aware of such a raising of services, other than by requests for DG, POB etc.....

INCERFA/ALERFA are often initiated when an ATCO has some concern as to the safety, or otherwise of an aircraft. This is effectively the same response on an aircraft as a PAN. Now I dont want anyone to start picking the technical differences but the overall effect is the same.

I agree that "better to see it and not want it, than want it and not see it"

From a Flight Crew perspective, if you call a PAN and the PAX all walk off safely, then we have all done our jobs, and AFS/Firies get to excersize real time. So we all win.