PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 8
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2012, 02:40
CONF iture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bubbers44
Please tell me this is not true.
Nothing but the truth. For the 30 sec period the PF was full back stick, both captain and PNF were unaware of such vital piece of information.

Originally Posted by ironbutt57
Thought, neither of the two 757's lost due to inaccurate ADR..granted for different reasons had side sticks, and yet nether one was control regained...also a "little sidestick forward" might well not been enough to counter the THS position....might have indeed required full stick forward, AND manual dose down trim...
Correct but ...
  • In the Birgenair case, the PNF had that priviledge to witness how the displacement of the yoke by the AP was consistant with its own side instrumentation. He tried to tell the captain but maybe was not confident enough to intervene ...
  • The Aeroperu was a nightmare scenario where airspeed altitude V/S were all wrong. The end result was a CFIT where flight control displacements were minimal. In that case I agree, to have coupled yokes was not an advantage to the independant sidesticks (but neither a disadvantage).

For the THS, don't get me started again please. I am still amazed how the THS got almost full up :
  1. automatically
  2. under stall warning
  3. the command by the sidestick for the period was more up than down but nothing that drastic