PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To PAN or not to PAN that is the question!
Old 30th Apr 2012, 00:52
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I've often heard it commented that RAAF pilots declare a Pan at the drop of a hat- I have no first hand experience of it, it's just been an idiom handed down to me over the years. Perhaps the real issue is that RPT pilots don't declare Pan often enough.

Personally, if it's enough to want the fire trucks out, it's enough to declare a Pan. Wanting the trucks but not declaring a Pan is a bit like being half pregnant. Concerned about controlability on landing? Sounds like a Pan. Think you may need to stop on the runway if youn actually do have tyre damage? Sounds like a Pan. Land and nothing untoward occurs? Thank everyone for their efforts and spend the 5 minutes writing up the ASIR.

Concerned about the potential media attention? You're in the wrong seat or the wrong job. Concerned about the questions from management on Monday morning? Ditto.

Given the increase in air traffic in Australia over the next decade and the growth estimates, we're going to be hearing more Pans as the years progress. I hope that we can reach a stage whereby they're seen as a conservative, safe, reasonable response to a safety issue rather than the media, other crew, etc considering them to be a split second short of a catastrophic hull loss.

Anyway, those are my thoughts from the cheap seats. Have a good week everyone.