PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - International Touring Pilot Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2012, 22:00
Bladestrike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The BM gigs can be rewarding, depends on how you look at it. I have zero desire to move into mangement but took a BM gig as no on else would do it, and the base had been through a bunch of them. I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and learnt a ton, but DO NOT DO IT FOR THE COIN, it ain't worth it. Base moves, crewing issues, customs, flight permits, local staff, etc. etc. you'll be far busier than your fellow pilots, but if boredom is an issue, this will be sure way to help the time pass quickly. If you don't know how to deal with stress, it'll be a steep learning curve, but you could come through it with better skills than most ever get a chance to develop. As far as the social aspect, you'll get guys that hibernate in their rooms and guys who want to explore around every corner. You generally don't get to choose where you go or with whom, but you can make the most out of any posting. Just in the last year alone, I've been to more places, seen more things, done more things, than I could have imagined, waaaay off the beaten path. I enjoy touring far more than I thought I would, but then again, I'd prefer a job where I could sleep in my own bed. Try it on for size for a couple years, then you'll know what's right for you.